Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wikis


While reading Richardson’s book, I came across a quote that really resonated with me.  “ In using wikis, students are not only learning how to publish content;  they are also learning how to develop and use all sorts of collaboration skills, negotiating with others to agree on correctness, meaning, relevance, and more (pg.61)”  Truly students are teaching and  learning from each other. Creating wikis in the classroom will help students in the 21st century education, Common Core State Standards, and to prepare them for different careers.   As difficult as all this technology “jargon” is for me, I feel that I have no choice but to learn how to better incorporate technology and literacy into my teaching.  Do you see yourself using wikis in your classroom?  If so, how do you plan on introducing wikis to your students?

The book says that wikispaces is a good place to start your work with wikis!

2 comments:

  1. It is encouraging to see how technology is being used. For me, learning to use technology is happening too slow. In this situation, many of my students have great skill. But, I see wiki as a way for collaborative and global learning. Like you, I'm pondering how I will present it to my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After learning more about the background of wikis, I have warmed-up to them. Wikipedia's reputation had helped me to form my opinion about wikis. After reading Richardson, and hearing Dr. Arzt talk about them, I can absolutely see how much of an asset a wiki can be in the classroom. I think that one can do so much with wikis and blogs in older grades (4th and up). I'm not sure how I could use one in K-3. I think that posting a blog post would be a great way for students to begin responding to texts. Wikis may be a bit harder, though...

    ReplyDelete